|In Europe, microfiber products have been commonly used in homes, hospitals, schools, hotels and various commercial applications for years. Norwex products originated in Norway in 1994. The product line was originally developed for the commercial cleaning industry.
While traveling in Norway two dynamic women from Dauphin, Manitoba were introduced to the Norwex product line. They saw the potential for microfiber in North America and in true entrepreneurial fashion set forth on their mission. Head Office remains in Dauphin, Manitoba and products have been distributed throughout North America since 1999.
- Norwex “clean without chemicals” began in Norway, soon after microfiber was first manufactured in Sweden.
- Norwex enters the home party market in Norway and the business grows quickly.
- Norwex expands into Canada that spring and experiences great success and growth.
- The business and product line expands to include personal care without chemicals.
- Norwex expands into Latvia and later that year into Lithuania.
- The continued mission is to improve human life by radically reducing the use of chemicals in personal care and cleaning.
- The Norwex sales force exceeds 2000 consultants world-wide.
- Norwex launches 12 new products, greatly expanding the personal care line.
- Norwex has expanded world-wide to offer its products and business opportunity worldwide:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Norwex’s new branding message is “Improving Quality of Life.” The focus is on reducing pollution in our homes, thereby contributing to improved health of the environment now and for our children’s future.
Norwex revamps its personal care line to include an entire collection of certified organic products for hair and skin.
Why is Norwex microfiber made in China?
When Norwex came to Canada, all of the microfibre was produced by our parent company in Norway . Within a couple of years, the Norwegian plant was not able to keep up production and a new plant was needed…they searched around and, as it turns out, you can get a Ph.D. in textile engineering in China – so they are, in many instances, far advanced in this technology.
When Norwex opened the plant in China , we were soon able to double the amount of microfibre in an envirocloth – which was really quite a feat! They were able to figure out how to get the micro-silver based agent embedded within the fibre in a way that it will not wash out – another feat that no one has yet been able to reproduce in a textile.
Note that the plant in China is a Norwex plant and it is run and overseen by staff from Norway . Norwex does not manufacture or purchase product or deal with any companies that are not fair trade or that exploit workers. As a matter of fact, before Debbie Boulton (founder and CEO of Norwex) agrees to purchase from any company, she hires translators and pays an unannounced visit to the plant. She goes on the floors where the workers are and asks them questions. If they are not happy working for their company and with their compensation, she will not purchase from them. She assures me that our plant in China, overseen by Norwegian staff that live in China, is one of the cleanest, most high tech manufacturing plants she has ever seen. I know China has a pretty sketchy background for very many things and for very many reasons, but I can assure you, any products that we carry is not made cheaply, nor are they made by children or exploited workers. This goes for all products, even those which Norwex does not manufacture.
|Norwex is a company with a conscience.
Norwex is a distributor of Fair Trade Products. This means:
· Producers receive a fair price – a living wage. For commodities, farmers receive a stable, minimum price.
· Forced labor and exploitative child labor are not allowed
· Buyers and producers trade under direct long-term relationships
· Producers have access to financial and technical assistance
· Sustainable production techniques are encouraged
· Working conditions are healthy and safe
· Equal employment opportunities are provided for all
· All aspects of trade and production are open to public accountability
Norwex is proud to announce that we now have a lab in Shanghai. This makes it even easier for us to test all our products during and after production to secure our customers the best quality possible.
Norwex is now able to test:
– Shrink percentage
– Color fastness
– Bacteria Count
– Capillary effectiveness
– Splitting percentage of the microfiber
Norwex places strict emphasis on the quality control in every stage in the process of production. We are assuring our customers the safety of high quality products.